Prevent fraud by knowing exactly how to spot it before it happens! If an offer looks too good to be true — quick, easy money offers, unsolicited job offers on social media, or voice calls and text messages asking for login credentials — it’s probably a scam.
Follow these simple steps to stay safe from fraud.
HOW TO PREVENT FRAUD
1. STOP AND ANALYZE THE SITUATION
Is the seller, company, charity or organization credible? Contact the local or state consumer agencies to verify the legitimacy of the company. Verify the phone number on the company’s website.
2. NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Scammers can email or call asking you to verify your personal information. Do NOT give them any information. Most reputable companies will not initiate contact to ask for your information.
3. CONTACT YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION IMMEDIATELY
If you’ve given out your personal information, time is of the essence. The sooner you contact your financial institution, the better.
TELLTALE SIGNS OF FRAUD
If you find yourself in one of these situations, stop before you give out your personal information.
- You’re asked to take immediate action
- You’re promised quick, easy money
- You’re not given ALL of the offer’s details
- Unusual transactions on your accounts
- Email confirmations of a purchase that you didn’t make
- Bills from companies that you’ve never had business with
- Unsolicited emails from charities or companies
- Emails or social media messages with typos and no logos
- International debt collection
- Fake family members asking for money
- Job offers that you didn’t apply for
- Strangers asking you to wire transfer money
- Fake text messages used to alarm the public
- Door-to-door scammers pretending to be public health employees
Your GECU debit and credit cards are automatically signed up to receive alerts via text, email or phone call that can notify you of suspicious or fraudulent activity with your accounts.
SET UP ACCOUNT TEXT ALERTS*
Add an extra layer of security and stay on top of large deposits or withdrawals, loan payment reminders, and balance updates by logging in to your GECU Online Banking account.
SET UP CARD ALERTS
Receive custom alerts for purchases over a selected amount, international purchases, online and phone purchases where your GECU card is not present, and declined transactions. You can update your preference at any time by logging in to your GECU Online Banking account.
If your information has been compromised, call GECU immediately at 915.778.9221, toll-free at 1.800.772.4328.
*Text-messaging and data rates may apply.