Tax season is here and filing your taxes for free is easy with our trained, bilingual volunteers from VITA Tax Assist!
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program has volunteers all over the city that are ready to help you get the most out of your tax refund by helping qualifying families file their taxes for free! Sit face-to-face with your tax preparer to ask any and all questions that you have or even file your taxes online!
Service is first come, first served — so don’t delay!
See the schedule, find a VITA site near you, and find out what to bring by clicking here or dialing 211.
WHAT TO BRING**:
- Original and current proof of identification (photo ID) for you and your spouse (VITA is unable to file taxes for married couples filing separately)
- Original Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents, or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birthdates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earnings statements (W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc. forms) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account, routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- To file taxes electronically on a Married Filing Jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign required forms
- Total paid for day-care provider and the day-care provider’s tax identifying number, such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- If you’re an identity-theft victim, bring your current IRS PIN letter
VITA QUICK FACTS
ONLINE SELF-SERVE TAX PREPARATION
- The Free Tax Assist program is an online program that began in 2013 in the El Paso community brought to us by the IRS.
- The Free Tax Assist program offers free online self-tax preparation to taxpayers that earn $66,000 or less.
- The taxpayer can select the online tax vendor of their choice, free of charge.
- IRS-trained volunteers are available to help answer questions via phone or email.
FACE-TO-FACE TAX PREPARATION
- The VITA face-to-face option began in 2003.
- Taxes are filed free of charge by IRS-trained volunteers.
- Taxpayers who earn $54,884 or less qualify for this tax assistance program.
- The VITA program offers a face-to-face meeting with a trained tax preparer at 24 locations. Dial 211 for site locations and hours.
EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT
- Earned Income Tax Credit is a federal tax credit for low- and moderate-income community members.
- This credit supports working taxpayers and helps offset federal payroll and income taxes.
- This tax credit may help taxpayers get an additional refund.
- Those with low-to-moderate income who work or own their own business with annual incomes between $39,300 and $53,500 qualify for this service. Other requirements apply. Ask a VITA volunteer to see if you qualify.
- Tax preparers can do a three-year lookback and the taxpayer can receive thousands of dollars in a refund.
To find a VITA site near you click here.
To register as a VITA tax volunteer click here.
*For qualifying households.